Monday, April 19, 2010

Stonegrill on Winchester

Stonegrill on Winchester
51B Winchester Street
(416) 967-6565
www.stonegrillonwinchester.com

I haven't been here in awhile but one thing that I loveeeeeee about this place is their filo pastry cheesecake. The waiter had actually recommended it to me and said it's not on the menu everyday and that it was a customer favourite! At the time it was the Bailey's Cheesecake baked in filo pastry. It was baked just enough so that the filo pastry was nice and warm, and tender while the cheesecake inside remained cool. Definately a must try.

The experience overall was unique but if you are looking for an outstanding steak you would have to go elsewhere. The theory behind the stonegrill is that the piece of stone is baked?? until it is at a very high temperature where the outside of your steak will immediately cook and seal off all juices from being leaked out. That way, they suggest, your steak will remain moist, juicy, and not overcooked. Sure, I didn't find it extremely dry but I also did not find it very tender. I usually prefer my steak medium rare and they say you must grill each piece that you cut off for several seconds. I kept over cooking it to the point where it was well done! It may be my fault... and I guess it was fun.. but definately not big on the steaks on stone grills.

The seared scallop appetizer was another story.. now THATTTT was unique AND delicious! The scallops were very juicy and it was complemented by what I believe is a salad made of a mixture of peas topped off with guacamole? I love avocados so they had me there...

Overall, good experience, but I don't know how many times I would go back simply because I did not love the steak. I'm not saying it was bad.. I've just had better. If you haven't tried it before it is something you should try just because it's different! Who knows, you may like it more than I did! But if they have the filo pastry cheesecake - trust me on this one.... GET IT!!! : )


Complementary organic bread & spread

Seared scallops with salad

Stonegrill steak

Stonegrill striploin

Bailey's cream cheese caked wrapped in filo pastry

No comments:

Post a Comment