Friday, March 5, 2010

Acqua Ristorante

Acqua Ristorante
10 Front Street (located in Brookfield Place)
(416) 368 - 7171
www.acqua.ca

So.... me and my boyfriend were VERY disappointed at this restaurant to say the least.... First off, I ordered their 16oz veal which they are famous for and my boyfriend orders the lamb rack... they return to tell me both were sold out. So I ordered the oysters 6 ways to start off so we can decide what to get... they return to tell me the oysters are sold out..... My boyfriend suggests we start with the escargots instead and I decided I wanted the seared Ahi tuna for my main. 2 minutes later they return to tell me there is no more tuna but they still have the escargots... A bit flustered at this point we just asked them what they STILL had and they suggested the new york steak and the beef tenderloin with foie gras.

The waiter apologetically explains that because they are so close to the Air Canada Center and that there was a game prior to this... the rush of people lead to everything being sold out. I understand the concept that they don't want to order too much to keep their ingredients fresh but we had a reservation... shouldn't they be expecting guests to order their most famous dishes?

That wasn't it.. when the escargots came the sauce quickly cooled off and formed a disgusting layer of "skin" on the top... it tasted okay but that sauce was a bit of a turn off... Our mains came and the sauce did the same thing again... another layer of skin formed on BOTH our sauces... to be honest... the sauce on all 3 dishes tasted exactly the same. The butter on my boyfriend's steak was cold and did not melt.. and the foie gras that topped mine seemed cold and undercooked and tasted... weird.........

You can tell the cuts of meat weren't the greatest... a fresh and juicy medium rare steak should be a brightly coloured red in the center but our steaks were a dull pink/purple....... Needless to say we were very disappointed.... the only good things were my mashed potatos and my glass of wine.... To be fair.. these weren't the dishes they are known for... and I am sure their veal, lamb, and oysters are much better as they sold out... I do want to try them but I am undecided if I want to take that risk at the restaurant....

If you ever want to go here do NOT go after a game night and if there is something you want specifically... reserve ahead and let them know....

After our meal they did not offer us desserts... I left wondering if they were sold out of that too?


Good bread selection

Escargots with cremini mushrooms

New York steak
Tenderloin and foie gras

No comments:

Post a Comment